Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tool #9


1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?

The use of technology must be tied to the objectives because it is easy to use technology without a purpose. As teachers we need to provide a purpose for technology that supports the learning objectives. If it doesn't tie to the objectives, we need to find a different way to use the technology.

2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?

During stations, we can't be everywhere in the classroom and there isn't always a specific product for the students to create with technology. We must find some way to make sure they have been using the technology effectively. Providing a rubric or model of the desired product will also he students.

3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?

I tried the Mangahigh and Interactivate. I liked both websites and plan to use them in my classroom. Mangahigh had some fun games for algebra and geometry practice that could be used as a station. It could also be a way to reward students that have completed their homework all week, finish early, etc. Interactivate could be used as exploration and extension activities with my geometry classes for polygons and circles and the vocabulary. I will have my students draw pictures of the polygons and vocabulary they have discovered.

4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?

Quick graph, Skype, iTalk are just a few of the apps I would like to use as a part of my lessons. Quick graph allows you to graph equations more accurately than on the calculator and more user friendly. I can save equations in the app to save time in stations if there is one particular equation we are examining. Skype can connect my classroom with another classroom meeting at the same time. iTalk could be a way for students to explain their work, save and email to me to listen and hold the students accountable.

5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.

My students could also use the whiteboard app. It could be a fun way for students to work in a group and collaborate together. They could take a screen shot when finished and email it to me so I can see what they worked on during class.


No comments:

Post a Comment